The Medary Monument was built in 1929 in part by the Daughters of the American Revolution in memorial of the town of Medary, which was founded in 1857 but slowly disappeared after the town of Brookings was established just to the north along the railroad tracks.
Beginning in 2018, the Medary Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution worked with Brookings County to restore the Monument which was showing signs of age with crumbling steps and old grout. The Chapter raised $3,000 through fundraising efforts while the County provided the remaining $3,800 to hire Niklason Masonry to perform the necessary repairs.
The Daughters of the American Revolution graciously provide the landscaping for the Monument while the County maintains the structure and mows the site.
Booklet "The Towns of Medary" by Janet Gritzner, Historian, Medary Chapter, NSDAR