Decree of Disposition - CHINS

Alternatives for Children in Need of Supervision

If a child has been adjudicated as a child in need of supervision, the court shall enter a decree of disposition according to the least restrictive alternative available in keeping with the best interests of the child. The decree shall contain one or more of the following alternatives:
  1. The court may place the child on probation or under protective supervision in the custody of one or both parents, guardian, custodian, relative, or another suitable person under conditions imposed by the court
  2. The court may require as a condition of probation that the child report for assignment to a supervised work program, provided the child is not placed in a detention facility and is not deprived of the schooling that is appropriate to the child’s age, needs, and specific rehabilitative goals. The supervised work program shall be of a constructive nature designed to promote rehabilitation, shall be appropriate to the age level and physical ability of the child, and shall be combined with counseling by a court services officer or other guidance personnel. The supervised work program assignment shall be made for a period of time consistent with the child’s best interests, but may not exceed 90 days
  3. If the court finds that the child has violated a valid court order, the court may place the child in a detention facility for not more than 90 days, which may be in addition to any period of temporary custody, for purposes of disposition if:
    • The child is not deprived of the schooling that is appropriate for the child’s age, needs, and specific rehabilitative goals;
    • The child had a due process hearing before the order was issued; and
    • A plan of disposition from a court services officer is provided to the court;
  4. The court may require the child to pay for any damage done to property or for medical expenses under conditions set by the court if payment can be enforced without serious hardship or injustice to the child
  5. The court may commit the child to the Department of Corrections for placement in a juvenile correctional facility, foster home, group home, group care center, residential treatment center, or other community-based services, if those community-based services were not provided prior to commitment, pursuant to chapter 26-11A. Prior to placement in a juvenile correctional facility, an inter-agency team comprised of representatives from the Department of Human Services, Department of Social Services, Department of Education, the Department of Corrections, and the Unified Judicial System shall make a written finding that placement at a Department of Corrections facility is the least restrictive placement commensurate with the best interests of the child. Subsequent placement in any other Department of Corrections facility may be authorized without an inter-agency review
  6. The court may place a child in an alternative educational program
  7. The court may order the child to be examined and treated at the Human Services Center
  8. The court may impose a fine not to exceed $500
  9. The court may order the suspension or revocation of the child’s driving privilege or restrict, the privilege in such manner as the court sees fit or as required by § 32-12-52.4, including requiring that financial responsibility be proved and maintained
  10. The court may assess or charge the same costs and fees as permitted by §§ 16-2-41, 23-3-52, 23A-27-26, 23A-28B-42, and 23A-27-27 against the child, parent, guardian, custodian, or other party responsible for the child

No adjudicated child in need of supervision may be incarcerated in a detention facility except as provided in subdivision three or five of this section.