- Our Departments
The Finance Office seeks to provide taxpayers with the best possible services to meet the continued and growing needs of Brookings County.
Finance Department Responsibilities
- Accountable for revenue collected by all other county offices and appropriating the funds to the correct revenue account
- Assists senior and disabled citizens to file applications for property tax relief and sales tax reductions
- Bookkeeper of all county finances
- Collects motor vehicle fees and wheel taxes
- Collects property taxes for the county, city and school districts (Property taxes account for the majority of the revenue in the county budget)
- Pays all the bills of the county
- In conjunction with the State Departments of Revenue and Labor, issues distress warrants to the Sheriff in the event of non-payment on state sales taxes or unemployment insurance
- Issues handicapped parking permits with doctor authorization
- Issues motor vehicle licenses
- Keeps records of Commission proceedings and preserves any documents, books, accounting records, maps, and other materials deposited in the Finance Office.
- Keeps inventory of county property
- Maintains all Capital Assets records
- Processes all county liquor licenses
- Publishes an annual report of the receipts and disbursements as well as the assets and liabilities of the county
- Acts as clerk of the County Commission
- The Finance Office’s fiscal duties include conducting a monthly verification of all bank balances and cash items and making a report of the same to the County Commission
2018 Provisional Budget
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Board of County Commissioners of Brookings County will meet at the Brookings City & County Government Center, 520 3rd St., Suite 310, Brookings, South Dakota, on Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 9:30 a.m. for the purpose of considering the foregoing Provisional Budget for the year 2018 and the various items, schedules, amounts, and appropriations set forth therein and as many days thereafter as is deemed necessary until the final adoption of the budget on the 26th day of September, 2017. At such time any interested person may appear either in person or by a representative and will be given the opportunity for a full and complete discussion of all purposes, objectives, items, schedules, appropriations, estimates, amounts, and matters set forth and contained in the Provisional Budget.